Home

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hey Hey Hey! Mine and Meg's second year of college has begun! I am really going to love this semester for sure. I am taking Intro to Illustration and Watercolor, along with generals English 201, Natural Disasters, and Doctrine and Covenants.

I know this is only the first week, but I think I am safe to say that I absolutely love my Illustration class. My teacher is awesome. He is an animator by profession and is really good at getting us excited about our work. The class is run like an illustration firm. We will have strict deadlines every week, and will learn to conduct ourselves professionally in our work and our critiques.

 There are five projects for the course. Our first, which we actually started on Wednesday, is a Master Copy of another illustrators work. We had to choose and artist from the Golden age of Illustration and find our favorite illustration to replicate. I chose Maxfield Parrish's "A Swiss Admiral". I really like the eery feel the eye gives. It will be fun. I have to complete my line drawing by Monday. Next week we work on our value studies in charcoal, and the following week will be focused on painting.


The second project is to design a cover for our favorite classical book. I'm not all that interested in classical literature, however there are a few that I really like. I'm thinking about creating a cover for Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, or maybe one for Grimm's Fairy Tales, or Anderson's Fairy Tales.

After the book cover, we will work in the arena of advertisement. We get to choose any item we want and create an ad for it. I haven't really given this project much thought. I might choose a candy bar or something along that line. I want to create a fun packaging option as well, but we will see.

The fourth project is the one I look forward to most. We can either choose character design, environmental art, or UI design for a video game. Our teacher has the game all thought up, but won't reveal it officially until the time comes. I think I know what it is because I found it on our class schedule, but I'm not sure if it from last year or not. I'm excited for this one for sure!!!

The final project is a free choice illustration. We get to pitch our idea to our teacher as well as our class. That will be fun.

So that is Illustration in a nutshell. We have three weeks to complete each project, with the exception of the video game one, we only have one week to finish that. Oh yeah, my teacher's name is Joshua Abegglen. He has done some really cool work! Look him up if you want. He has animation tutorials for Maya too which are great.

So yeah. Watercolor is slow right now. We are learning the basics. I thought it would be boring to relearn this, but I was wrong. We are studying the pigments and experimenting what each color does. We are learning about granulation, setters, stains, transparent, and opaque colors. It is pretty cool actually. I did some color studies. I am excited to get back into watercolor. We are using better paints and professional paper. It is going to be fun. My teacher is funny. She reminds me of my Nana. She is great. Her work is pretty neat too. You should check her stuff out. Her name is Sally Cannon Ellis.  

Those are my fun classes. I am going to have so much fun this year. I hope to build up my portfolio to submit for Pixar's internships this summer. I'm looking more into art and story this time. Who knows what will happen.

So yeah! It will be great. I still love it here in the potato state. School is nice, roommates are awesome, and friends are everywhere.
 P.S. Thanks Courtney for the banana bread! It was delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment